About Me

My photo
Travelalot, Vic, Qld, Cali, Australia
Like making old things new again. Enjoy working on a far away big tree/cow farm vs inner city digital stuff and with the NBN that's changing, creative lifestyles and digital content businesses. I have 4 degrees in psychology, media, literature, librarianship, management and business including a business PhD that explored how tech created opportunities in the music sector (as a lead indicator to other content sectors). Am fascinated by how people use digital stuff and emerging uses. Slow living, reject unreal or fast lifestyles, I like to know all about what I eat. Maintaining a professional hatred and boycott of Farcebook. Confused about whether to write in 1st or 3rd person on this site. Love animals and have always had them around - cows, horses, chooks, cats, dogs, sheep, goats, camels, budgies. Met lots of snakes too. Enjoy aesthetic immersion and favourite era is 1940-1959. Music obsessive not impartial to late nights watching bands. blah blah blah

Saturday, November 28, 2009

getting about part 2

Just back from Perth and nursing a sore throat from yelling over the music at the Royal Perth Yacht Club on Thursday night.  It was a professional formal do, that became slightly less formal as the night progressed.  Been in Perth this week.  Pics below.  I've never spent much time there, it's usually fly in fly out for work. But this time I explored a little.  Did Northbridge at night, underwhelmed.  But on my last day there some music enthusiasts recommended a performance space there that they thought I'd like - it had the raised stage, dark velvet curtains, and a tiki volcano in the middle of the room. In the blur I've forgotten its name but will contact them again to remind me.  Got a good view of Perth from the top floor of Council House (a formal invitation from the Lord Mayoress to drinks there.  I'll send mum&dad the embossed invitation so they think I've finally achieved some sense of decorum) - a stunning example of late 1950's (I think) architecture that they were going to demolish but kept due to public lobbying (yay lobbyists). Uni WA is a 'sandstone' uni, one of the old ones, and the architecture had a mediterranean feel to it, lots of cloisters and inner courtyard ponds with fish in them, and peacocks walking around.






  
  


I was there for a conference and the topic was serious, food for sober thought.  My presentation went well I think.  Met some lovely people there, good vibe.   But still not a fan of Perth.  Until I went to Fremantle, which was delightful, sort of like a warm windy version of Hobart.  Really good community atmosphere, barring the blowins like me.  I found a vintage frock shop and met some creatives there who were the sort of community minded ethical entrepreneurs I really admire.  The owner sits behind an industrial sewing machine and can tailor the frocks to fit right there and then.  Perfect idea and I can't believe others don't do it.  I  think that's it for my 2009 travels, although I really should be in Sydney this week....

No comments:

Followers