About Me

My photo
Travelalot, Vic, Qld, Cali, Australia
Like making old things new again. Enjoy working on a far away big tree/cow farm vs inner city digital stuff and with the NBN that's changing, creative lifestyles and digital content businesses. I have 4 degrees in psychology, media, literature, librarianship, management and business including a business PhD that explored how tech created opportunities in the music sector (as a lead indicator to other content sectors). Am fascinated by how people use digital stuff and emerging uses. Slow living, reject unreal or fast lifestyles, I like to know all about what I eat. Maintaining a professional hatred and boycott of Farcebook. Confused about whether to write in 1st or 3rd person on this site. Love animals and have always had them around - cows, horses, chooks, cats, dogs, sheep, goats, camels, budgies. Met lots of snakes too. Enjoy aesthetic immersion and favourite era is 1940-1959. Music obsessive not impartial to late nights watching bands. blah blah blah

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Heatwave

I'm quietly amused by Melbourne's trendies. Often amused. I've been giggling on the inside a fair bit recently. This week I've been amused by inner urban trendies who wax lyrical about exotic locations such as Palm Springs, Mexico, Cuba, South America, Spain, Hong Kong, Arizona etc... And yet at the first sign of any heat in Melbourne they wilt and wither and retreat indoors to aircon and curse the heat. This hypocrisy exposes a disconnect that might be explained by semiotics, that is, the influence of the signification of these places on their perception of reality. That is, the trendies are desiring a dream not the reality. They talk of lounging in Frank Sinatra's pool in Palm Springs but in reality would be fretting about sunburn and heat. Or dancing in Cuba but in reality would be curling their lips at the perspiration and smells. Or shopping in Mexican markets for 'Day of the Dead' paraphernalia but in reality would be swatting flies whilst under umbrellas and complaining about how the dirt is sticking to their sweaty legs. And it's not for me to expose them to that reality each time they go into lyrical raptures on the architecture of Palm Springs or streets of Havana or shopping in Mexico.... I quietly laugh on the inside and restrain myself from blurting 'get real'. Hmmm 2 critical entries in two weeks.... hope I'm not becoming a social killjoy.... I think the line is between inspiration and realisation?

Spent the weekend camping in northern Victoria in my delightful spacious 'Arabian nights' inspired tent. Saturday night slept with all the tent sides open so could see the sky of stars and a glowing orange moon in a still night. I'm LOVING this heat! I can finally turn to my summer wardrobe staple of wearing slips when at home aka. Cat on a hot tin roof inspiration....

although sadly I've missed some of the heat because I've been in Sydney where it's only 24 degrees celsius and clear blue skies.

Now happily back in Melbourne's warm embrace for a few days.

No comments:

Followers